What happens if I accidentally swallow mouthwash?

What happens if I accidentally swallow mouthwash?

If you happen to accidentally gulp down that mouthful of mouthwash, you may experience a little regret afterward in the form of a mildly upset stomach. Many mouthwashes contain fluoride, which has been known to cause some gastric distress. You might feel queasy or nauseated, but it should go away relatively quickly.

What happens if you swallow a lot of mouthwash?

What to Do If You Swallow A Lot of Mouthwash. Swallowing small amounts of mouthwash may leave you feeling a bit queasy or may even cause diarrhea, but these symptoms should pass. However, if your child or someone you know overdoses on mouthwash by drinking and swallowing a large amount, take these steps: Check The Label.

What are the ingredients in mouthwash that are bad for You?

The ingredients in mouthwash that are most harmful when swallowed tend to be chlorhexidine gluconate, ethanol (ethyl alcohol), hydrogen peroxide, and methyl salicylate. Even kid-friendly mouthwashes aren’t designed to be swallowed.

Do you have to spit out your mouthwash?

However, mouthwash needs to be spit out after rinsing. It should not be swallowed as the ingredients may be hazardous when ingested in large amounts. So, what happens if you or your child accidentally swallows mouthwash?

Is it safe to swallow a mouth rinse?

Your email has been successfully sent to the recipient. Mouthwashes and mouth rinses are meant to be spit out, not swallowed, because even natural mouthwash products may contain ingredients that can be poisonous if ingested in large amounts.

What are the dangers of using and swallowing mouthwash?

Keeping mouthwash for long duration can injure the lining of the mouth as it contains alcohol. It increases the risk of developing oral cancer. Dangers of swallowing mouthwash include nausea, oral burns and burning in stomach.

Is there harm in swallowing mouthwash?

Harmful Effects Of Swallowing Mouthwash. It especially occurs when alcohol is present in mouthwash. If some mouthwash contains methyl alcohol, there is risk of blindness if consumed. Nausea, vomiting and diarrhea can lead to dehydration and patient may need intravenous fluid and electrolyte supplementation.

Can swallowing mouthwash kill you?

It’s not dangerous in the sense that it will kill you if you accidentally swallow mouthwash. If you accidentally swallow your mouthwash, there’s no reason to panic.

What happens if you accidentally swallow mouthwash?

If you have accidentally swallowed a small amount of mouthwash while gargling, there is usually no need to worry. In small amounts, the risks of swallowing mouthwash are typically limited to nausea and diarrhea. These side effects should subside within a few hours of swallowing it.